"He has showed you, oh man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8 NIV

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Love Thy Neighbor


I have been thinking a lot about this word, compassion.


I have been thinking about how it seems to sometimes be easier to be compassionate from afar

than it is within our own 1 mile radius.


I have been thinking about those in our lives that are tough to love - those that hurt us, annoy us, offend us, wrong us.


The thing is, I believe compassion is really a discipline. And as such, it means that it is something that takes work, takes time, and is something we need to be actively practicing on a regular basis.


And most likely, it is going to be tough. It is going to require forgiveness on our part sometimes. It is going to require courage, as we are going to find ourselves feeling uncomfortable.


If I am going to sustain my heart for social justice and have an active role in advocacy, for a lifetime, I must be able to first and foremost show compassion to those I encounter in my daily life. And as a mom, it is even more important that my daughters see this compassion flowing out of me onto others.


So, as we head into a season of Thanksgiving, consider offering an olive branch. Consider reaching out to someone in your life that is not easy for you to love. Consider doing it with humility, showing compassion freely without wanting anything in return - even if you "deserve" it.


Think of a very tangible way to act on it between now and Thanksgiving.


Let's do it together.



No comments:

Post a Comment