“Women Hold Up Half the Sky”-Chinese Proverb
Today, March 8th, 2011 marks the 100th Anniversary of International Women’s Day. I must say, I have a pretty sweet day lined up in honor of my gender. I am going to go and get my hair cut and colored, I went and treated myself to a mocha this morning, and I am hoping to celebrate with some girlfriends tonight.
Not bad, right?
But, I am also very aware that this day is so much more than good hair color – although, admittedly, good hair is certainly one area that brings ALL women together globally. Today is one day a year in which we have an international platform to draw attention to the fact that there is a serious discrepancy in how females are treated worldwide.
I love this video that came out for International Women’s Day this year featuring Daniel Craig (the latest James Bond) and narrated by the fabulous Judi Dench. Please watch::
So, as always on this particular blog, how can we engage? How, on this – the 100th Anniversary of International Women’s Day – can we DO something that makes a difference on behalf of women and girls worldwide?
And please – do NOT tell me this does not affect you or is irrelevant to you. We each came from the womb of a woman. We all have mothers. We all have sisters, daughters, nieces, grandmothers, aunts, wives, girlfriends, step-mothers. Not one of us is exempt from caring about the injustices and inequalities women face at a very disproportionate rate than men. That is fact. Pure and simple.
So, here you go - practical ways to act. Today.
1. Celebrate this day by supporting a girl’s education.
2. Sign a petition to eradicate domestic human trafficking (the majority of victims are female b/w ages of 3 and 12).
3. Ask Pres. Obama to do his part to end modern day slavery
4. Shop at Global Girlfriend, a site that promotes and supports micro-enterprises for women worldwide.
5. Read the statistics and better understand why this day is important.
6. Don’t allow our government to cut foreign aid to women and children.
7. Invest directly in micro-enterprising for women:
Happy International Women's Day!
May it not take another 100 years before women worldwide realize their worth.